- the idea of innovation in the non-profit sector
- partnerships are key to success and it is important to have good communication in building partnership
- engagement and authenticity – social media is making it cheaper to reach more people, authenticity is key to engagement
- Nothing but Nets – a global, grassroots campaign to raise awareness and funding to fight malaria, a leading cause of death among children in Africa.
- MyWorld2015 – a global survey by the UN asking for people to vote on what issues are important for the future
- his experience as an entrepreneur and business person.
- knowing about problems before they become big problems
- the importance of building a team and some key characteristics of teammates – honesty, persistance, team work and a sense of humor.
I also had some time to speak with Johnny Price of Kiva.org. KivaZip is a program that is just rolling out to provide microlending in the US. You can learn more about microlending in Pittsburgh from KivaZip here.
Another element of the Millenial Trains trip is the leadership training. Dr. Max Klau is the Vice President of Leadership Development at City Year, Inc., a national service program headquartered in Boston, Massachusetts. Dr. Klau has adapted the City Year leadership training for the train trip.
- Dr. Klau Huffington Post article, “Developing Leaders on a Moving Train“